This week’s roundtable episode features a (mostly) silent co-host: Ikaros the official Glitch HQ office doge! While not distracted by adorableness, Martha gives a primer on Git and version control best practices, Stephen leads a discussion on art direction, and Mark tries to understand PC gamers.
Discuss this week’s episode on reddit using this thread in r/gamedev!
- Nice Games Club feedback form.
- “GLITCHCON Celebrates A Weekend Of Gaming” – Tech.MN
[0:03:58] Version Control
- Martha’s Git workshop presentation slides
- “A Short History of Git”
- “Merging Unity scenes, prefabs and assets with git” – David Douglas
- “Git for Unity Developers” – Alistair Doulin
- “Pushing to multiple git repos” – Alex Armstrong
- Code School: Learn Git
[0:33:38] Art Direction
- Our episode on Developer Art
- “The Design Bible Behind New York City’s Subway” – Slate
- SPY Fox Series Mini-Games
- “Behind Borderlands’ 11th-hour style change” – Gamespot
- “Civ V Art Director Explains Art Deco Look” – Game Informer
- “Cuphead Process and Philosophy” GDC 2017
[0:54:44] Console vs PC Development
- “Book Review: The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses” – Daniel Cook
- “Valve making big changes to Steam’s trading card economy” – TweakTown
- Sony Developer Program
- Xbox LIVE Creator’s program
- “Becoming a Nintendo Switch indie dev will be tough early on” – Kris Graft