In our first (and likely only ever) Halloween episode, Martha haunts the clubhouse, Mark delivers some bad Zelda-related news to Stephen, and from Stephen’s topic a thousand flowers bloom.
Stephen’s IDGA talk is next week! Details here.
Mark gave a talk on object-oriented programming at the first annual M+DEV conference last weekend.
[0:04:41] Upcoming Games
- “Tech Interview: Destiny 2 and Bungie’s return to PC gaming” – Richard Leadbetter, Eurogamer
- “18 new Nintendo Switch games are out this week — the most ever” – Allegra Frank, Polygon
- “Pokemon Stars: all the latest leaks from the confirmed Nintendo Switch game” – Emma Boyle, TechRadar
- “[Your Name] the Hedgehog” – Know Your Meme
[0:20:58] Release Dates
- “The Dark Knight and the End of Counterprogramming” – Jim Pagels, Slate
- “The Weird Reason Why Video Games Are Released On Tuesdays” – Karyne Levy, Business Insider
- We asked folks at r/gamedev about release date strategies. Thanks to those who contributed to this episode!
[0:31:07] Win Conditions
- “Loot Boxes Are Designed To Exploit Us” – Heather Alexandra, Kotaku
- “How Game Designers Protect Players From Themselves” – Game Maker’s Toolkit
- “The long, hard, journey behind the design of Dead Cells’ player builds” – Alex Wiltshire, Rock Paper Shotgun
- Desert Bus For Hope