This week, your nice hosts talk about Star Trek for longer than usual, and Mortho returns with an NGC Sports Update. Also: Stephen executes a delicious self-own in a discussion on Achievements, Mark sings a song about cities, and Martha hopes to design puzzles that even Stephen will appreciate.
- Martha mentioned The Greatest Discovery podcast, a show recapping Star Trek Discovery episodes.
- “Report: Geguri Will Be The First Woman Signed To An Overwatch League Team” -Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
- Portal 2’s best achievement: This is the Part Where He Kills You.
- Achievement Unlocked is a parody game about achievements.
- We played games like HUDdled and others during our Ludum Dare Nice Plays special.
- The Simpsons Game spoofs on achievements as well.
- Alexander Hamilton, a Federalist, probably wouldn’t have liked Achievements either.
[0;39;46] Puzzle Design
- “Level Design Workshop: Solving Puzzle Design” – Jolie Menzel, GDC 2016
- Analysis: Puzzle Design in the Myst Series – Gregory Weir, Gamasutra
- Tim Schafer on Day of the Tentacle’s awful car wash puzzle: “[It] seemed a lot funnier at the time.”
- “This Might Be Persona 5’s Biggest Localization Fail” – Chris Kohler, Kotaku
- Grumpy Gamer on Puzzle Dependency Charts
- Our pal Martin’s company Abstract Puzzle makes games including Puzzle Prison VR.
- Visual Understanding Environment is an Open Source project for managing digital resources for many different subjects, including puzzle design.
- “Embedded Puzzle Manifesto” – Joey Jones, Far Far Future